World War is enough scary for any individual as both world wars showed an enormous loss of property, so much money was invested, and most importantly so many people got died. In these two, the World War II is the most devastating which continued for six years and left the unforgettable scars in human mankind.
So, let’s start with some facts to know about the first modern war.
1. The first German serviceman was killed by the Japanese. And the first American serviceman was killed by a Russian soldier.
More than 100,000 crew men of allied bomber were get killed over Europe.
3. 4 of 5 German soldiers got killed in the war were in the eastern front.
4. Only 20% of males born in the Russia in 1923 were survived the war. Not because of the war casualty but due to disease and malnutrition.
During the Norway invasion Germans captured a factory that produce heavy water. These are used to create plutonium. Germans got so far creating a plutonium bomb but, the 11 Norwegian commandos secretly planted explosives and destroyed the facility.
6. In World War II Japanese were so close to create the death ray machine, which works on Nikola Tesla’s drawing and can kill humans from miles away by projecting electrical waves. But the target need to stand still for about 10mins hence, the idea was dropped.
7. The country with the largest number of WWII causalities was Russia, with over 21 million deaths.
It is estimated that 1.5 million children died during the Holocaust Approximately 1.2 million of them were Jewish and tens of thousands were Gypsies.
Between 1939 and 1945, the Allies dropped 3.4 million tons of bombs, which averaged to 47,200 tons per week.
Even after the Allies arrived, many concentration camp prisoners were beyond help. In Bergen-Belsen, for example, 13,000 prisoners died after liberation. Nearly 2,500 of the 33,000 survivors of Dachau died within six weeks of liberation.
Also Read: 25 Mind Blowing Facts You Need To Know
11. Most historians agree that WWII began when Germany invaded Poland on September 1, 1939. Others say it started when Japan invaded Manchuria on September 18, 1931. And some suggest it was the continuation of WWI, with a break in between.
The longest battle of World War II was the Battle of the Atlantic, which lasted from 1939-1945.
13. Approximately 600,000 Jews served in the United States armed forces during WWII. More than 35,000 were killed, wounded, captured, or missing. Approximately 8,000 died in combat. However, only two Jewish soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor in WWI.
The Battle of the Bulge is the largest and deadliest battle for U.S. troops to date, with more than 80,000 American casualties.
15. More Russians (military and civilians) lost their lives during the Siege of Leningrad than did American and British soldiers combined in all of US and Britain
Also Read: 20 Most amazing facts About Computer
16. Nazis murdered approximately 12 million people, nearly 6 million of those being Jews killed in the Holocaust.
During WWII, the Japanese launched 9,000 “wind ship weapons” of paper and rubberized-silk balloons that carried incendiary and anti-personnel bombs to the U.S. More than 1,000 balloons hit their targets and they reached as far east as Michigan. The only deaths resulting from a balloon bomb were six Americans.
18. The swastika is an ancient religious symbol. It derives from the Sanskrit name for a hooked cross, which was used by ancient civilizations as a symbol of fertility and good fortune. It has been found in the ruins of Greece, Egypt, China, India, and Hindu temples.
19. The Japanese Kamikaze was first proposed on 19th Oct, 1944 by vice admiral Onishi. These suicidal attacks caused approximately 2800 Japanese pilot lives, with a gain of sinking 34 US ships, damaging 370 more, killed of over 4500 sailors.
20. In 1935 British engineer Robert Watson Watt was also working on death ray, which would destroy enemy aircraft. But, eventually it evolved into radio detection and ranging or Radar.
21. Dr. Josef Mengele also known as the angel of death was the most evil Dr of mankind. He experimented on 3000twins but less than 200only survived.
Stalingrad is the bloodiest battle in the history having casualties of over 16,00,000.
23. In 1941 a US private earned 21dollars a month and in 1942 it was 50 dollars a month.
Worlds first fighter jet, the Messerschmitt ME262 was developed by the Germans. But it was too late to change the course of war.
William Hitler, Adolf Hitler’s nephew was in the US navy during ww2.
After defeat in WW1 German was forced to sign the Treaty of Versailles in 1919. Hence, Germany lost its empires and lands to the neighbors. Germans opposed the treaty and eventually undo the settlement leading to WW2.
Also Read: The Evolution And History Of Submarine
29. About 40000 men served as submarines in U boats, but only 10000 returned.
The greatest tank battle in history was the Battle of Kursk between Russia and Germany in 1943. More than 3670 tanks were involved.
31. While in prison, Hitler visioned the idea of people’s car or Volkswagen. Where ‘Volk’ means people or nation.
33. In 1928 election only 3% of Germans voted for Nazi party. But in 1938 Hitler was the time magazine’s man of the year.
The Oleander is the official flower of Hiroshima, because it was the first thing to bloom after the nuclear explosion.
Queen Elizabeth II, joined the army on her 18th birthday despite her royal lineage. She reportedly took her job very seriously, learning to drive many military vehicles and also worked as a mechanic.
‘Fanta‘ was invented by Coca-Cola inside Nazi Germany during World War II. Made by whatever was available. ‘Fanta’ was short for fantasy and became a point on national pride for Germany.
Adolf Hitler often used to travel by Führersonderzug meaning the Fuhrer’s special train. But the interesting part is the train was named ‘Amerika’. Later on 1943, Nazis changed the name to Brandenburg.
38. It is always assumed that Germany was more powerful in military hardware with the most numbers. But in 1940, Germany had 135 divisions where only 17 were mechanized. But France alone had 117 mechanized divisions and also had over 10,000 artillery, over 3000 tanks compared to Germany’s 7500 artillery and 2400 Panzer tanks.
39. In World War II, German U-boats sunk over 4800 ships in which approximately 2500 were British. But it was less than 2% of allied shipping. There were almost 300,000 individuals sailings somewhere around the world.
Soldier Yang Kyoungjong fought in WW2 almost for every major countris. He was a Korean soldier who first did fight for Imperial Japanese Navy. Then was captured by the Russian Red Army and fought for them. But, not finished yet, after that he also fought in German army also.
41. The original abbreviation of the National Socialist Party was Nasos. The word “Nazi” derives from a Bavarian word that means “simple minded” and was first used as a term.